Tops! It's a bit harder than it looks – I actually threw it halfway across the tennis courts the first time I tried, haha. The guys have a competition with these to see whose top can spin the longest too. Each is handcrafted by its owner.
This is Grace and we totally colored that picture together. Pretty sweet, huh?
Bangkok really is a beautiful city...
I was confused when I pulled this blessed bag of peanut butter cups out of my Christmas package, only to find that it had been mysteriously broken into! My first thought was that my family was anxious to sneak a few before sending them off to me, but then I saw the miniature teeth marks... and then
I saw the three-inch hole that had been sloppily patched with packaging tape in the side of the box RIGHT WHERE THE BAG WAS... that's right, a rat totally chewed through my box while it was in transit. Haha, who else can say they've had a RAT chew through one of their packages??
On the right is another volunteer -Roger- working with Hope for Bangkok who was studying Thai at the same time as I was. On the left is a Buddhist man from Taiwan -Keo- who was in the same Thai class as me. We three went out to lunch everyday after class, especially since Keo was super interested in studying the Bible from us. It's amazing what studying the Bible can do for people, as you can see what it was doing for Keo... ﺕ
The fruit displays here are beautiful in general, but this one was out of this world. But as the Thais live by, if it's not beautiful, it's not worth eating.
The lady on the left is a member from our church who was taking us around by a lake that's about an hour away by train from our Center in Thonburi. She and Keo were teaching us a little Thai chi as we were burning time waiting for our train.
This is a taste of the giant flower market not far from our Center. Fresh flowers are everywhere here and they use them for everything. SMELLS SO GOOOOD.
Roger is actually from the Philippines and he's the same age as my dad so I call him my Asian dad and he calls me his American daughter ﺕ I have to praise God for always putting people in my life to take care of me whenever I'm far from home. But of course no one could ever truly replace you mom and dad!
We were invited to an Indian couple's home one Saturday after church and they served us this special Indian tea; it's supposed to help with digestion. Whatever with that, I just thought it tasted really good, haha.
In Every shop, every home, every park, every public place, and every other place I didn't list, you will find a picture of the dearly-loved and adored King of Thailand. He truly is, beyond a doubt, a king like no other.
Ready for this one? . . .
Yup, you guessed it – that's a grasshopper leg hanging out of my mouth. Such a common sidewalk treat could not be passed up on Brian's last night in Thailand (and Cory's first night!) You can ask me what it tasted like when I get home... nah, it actually wasn't that bad! It tasted like crunchy friedness. I mean, if you could get over the fact that you were eating a grasshopper that's what it tasted like... ﺕ
Tuk tukin' it up. Not sure any other public transportation vehicle could be more fun than a tuk tuk.
This is an amazing little coffee shop that's owned and run by a good man from America named Howard. He is the appetite-saving provider of American food like, every time we're in his neighborhood.
Thai food is awesome and all, but there's still nothing like a tuna melt with tomato on toast.








2 comments:
Kelly! It looks like you're having a amazing time...living every minute! I'm sure everyone there just loves you! Miss you!
Monica
Awwww, I miss Thailand! I'm excited to see you and hear all the rest of the stories when you get back to school! I can't believe you ate a grasshopper! That's crazy. ;) LOL, tuk tuks are the best! (especially when the driver is drunk).
Post a Comment