Monday, September 22

Let me begin to fill you in.

I want to fill you in more on the work that we're doing here, since I wasn't able to explain it very well before I left. Pastor Phamor, a retired pastor who is basically in charge of the work I'm here to help with, is currently the head of close to 200 teachers in a small chain of little Adventist schools built entirely out of Bamboo. They are located mostly throughout Burma, a couple being here in Thailand, and they are properly named the Bamboo Schools. Look them up on Google for further information! Anyhow, about fifteen years ago, Pastor Phamor's son came down with a disease that he suffered through for nine years; it left him blind and with lots of pain in his body. So the Pastor began to change his son Paul's diet, along with his own and his wife's. They quit eating all types of meat and animal products and began diving into the healing power of natural remedies. In giving praise to God for His goodness and His will for us to be pain-free, Paul's body pains subsided and haven't returned since the switch. That is part of the “health message” that I was referring to as part of the work that I would be doing here, which we began learning about Wednesday, September 17th. Hydrotherapy, the healing of diseases and sickness through water, has been a major part of our learning. Oh the things I will try on you all when I get back! And the natural remedies have been so interesting. Seriously, everything is so practical it's not even funny. We've also been learning about the 8 Laws of Health - yeah, practical, but very unpracticed! For instance, water will lower blood pressure because... ready for this.... 93% of it is water! I know, incredible. More info? Let me know! Anyway, at the end of our training begins our series of village hopping, which is this coming Sunday. After that, expect no contact from me for a couple weeks, for internet and phone services will be quite unavailable I'm told. Thanks again for your company... :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! So very cool. I didn't know that you were going. Sounds like you are making the cultural adjustment well. Where exactly in Thailand are you? Will you be visiting any large cities? (It sounds like you are in a rural setting.)

The guys just got back from backpacking ... you to see people doing that everyday out of necessity ... without all the stuff to make it "easier". We are so spoiled here in the U.S. The bad thing is that we don't even know it.

We are very interested how the 8 health laws are applied there. I didn't know the bit about BP lowering. Sounds very easy ...? at least ... "simple" if it were here? Your time will be in great demand … so stress … but if you want to write and have nothing to write about … a “summary” of each would be really great.

I ran across a new quote in EGW Sabbath that sort of supports what the pastor experienced with his son. I had never read it before. It was published November 7, 1901 What Shall We Eat? No. 2. It seems to be based on the curse aspect of Gen 8:21, Rom 8:19-22, Gen 3:14-19, as well as several other texts. Very interesting. I think we sometimes take our diet too lightly, not realizing the far reaching ramifications.

Please let us know if there are specific things you want us to remember in prayer. Otherwise we will just continue generally.

Alex said...

What you are doing sounds amazing - I am looking forward to hearing about it as the work progresses.

Unknown said...

Wow! Kelly! What amazing experiences you're having! Praying for ya girl.. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's Little Kelly!! (This is Danielle, I don't think this thing will tell you my name.) I am SO excited for you! Are there any other SAU peeps there? Is it wicked pretty? Thailand is on my list of places to visit and I'm thinking about going with a group from MY dental school (yes, I'm totally starting the hygiene program, like, now!!!) over Christmas! How cool would it be to hang out together in THAILAND! Of course, I don't know where we're going or anything, but the thought is exciting! Anyway, I hope you're having a blast!!!
*mmwah!*
Danielle

Ryan Irwin said...

Thailand the Great! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

Anonymous said...

hey ms. mccclurg! the bamboo schools! they're fantastic! so, your in the thailand side or have you been traveling between thailand and myanmar? praying for you! keep writing! i love reading! luv ya tons
-ms. roddy

Unknown said...

Kelly!!! I miss you SO much! I'm so excited for you that you're learning all this health message stuff! I think you should teach me some things...hydrotherapy sounds super interesting! What's the weather like out there? Anyways, I always think of you with smiles!

<3 Mind

Camp is fun! said...

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the blog info. Wow! It is so cool that you are in Thailand and learning a new language so fast. I want to be first in line to taste you're Thai cooking. We all miss you at Camp Au Sable. I am praying for you're safety and God's blessing.

PK

cnadolfi said...

Hi Kelly,
Everything sounds fascinating! I'd love to try real Thai food, but I'd REALLY like to see the bugs. Take pictures of everything. Can you post photos? I'd like to see the ants, spiders, turquoise scorpions and anything else you come up with !!! Also the scenery/plants.

I'm writing from Costa Rica. (Here for a month on business and will probably be back in Jan. again) Blessings to you! -Christen

cnadolfi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.